Monday, January 19, 2009

Xenia Frag Farm

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

I got tired of all of my Xenia frags taking up valuable real estate on my sand bed so I built myself a frag farm. I already had a piece of egg crate so all I needed to do was purchase the 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings. No PVC cement was used. Everything is just press fit. This will allow me to make changes and I didn't have to worry about letting the cement cure.

My LFS was on the way home so I stopped in. I was looking for a clam but the one I liked had been sold. Instead I decided to purchase some SPS corals.

First is an orange Montipora Digitata.

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

Next is a Green Slimer Acropora. This staghorn coral is huge. It got its name because it produces a lot of slime when disturbed. This one lived up to its name.


From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

I dipped these corals in an iodine solution for about 7 minutes to kill off any flatworms or red bugs that might be along for the ride.

Thankfully my wife is understanding of my obsession. I do feel like I need to contact Reefaholics Anonymous.

My name is Paul and I'm a Reefaholic...