Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Can See Your Beady Red Eyes

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

I have another Mythrax crab. This one hangs out in a crevice in my live rock right in front of the tank. He is also a mason. He gathered up a bunch of live rock rubble and he uses it to wall himself off inside his crevice.


From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

I thought I had a picture of him completely walled off but I looked and can't find one. You'll have to take my word for it. I only noticed this guy originally because I saw a piece of rock wiggling. I wasn't sure what it was at first because the crab was not visible behind his wall. A few days later the top of the wall was gone and I was able to see the crab tucked away in its home.

My tank is also home to another Mythrax crab. The other one has hairy legs and probably has a leg span of about 4 inches. I need to get him out of the tank and into the fuge before he develops an appetite for corals and fish. He moves so fast that I have not been able to catch him yet. I need to implement a trap by tying a piece of shrimp to a small rock and putting it in the bottom of a small plastic container. Crabs check in but they can't check out. I may try to get this small one out sooner than later while he is still easy to catch.