Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Unexpected Child

Since replacing my light fixture with my new T5 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro I've been increasing the amount of light that all 6 bulbs are on by hour per day. Soon after installing it my toadstool developed a spot of sunburn even though all 6 bulbs were on for only about 4 or 5 hours a day. At that point I throttled the lighting way back so that only 4bulbs on were on for 4 hours per day. I kept adding an hour of illumination per day until today. Now, 6 bulbs are on for 12 hours a day from 10 am to 10 pm. 2 bulbs are on from 9 am to 10 am and from 10 pm to 11 pm to simulate dawn and dusk.

All signs of sunburn on the toadstool are long gone and the toadstool now looks very healthy. In fact it has decided to have a child. Just under the top of the toadstool is a very small toadstool growing sideways off the main stalk. I commented on a small ball of tentacles a few days ago. It tuns out that it is a small toadstool. I wasn't able to see it until last night after all off the lights went out and all of the polyps retracted. The toadstool must be enjoying the new lights.