Monday, January 12, 2009

Porites

I purchased a zoa rock about a year ago. It game with a little patch of green SPS coral on it.
From Paul's Reef

The zoas have not done well. There are only 4 or 5 left and they never open completely.

The green SPS coral from what I can tell is porites. It, on the other hand, is doing well. It is spreading over the rock. In certain places I can actually see day to day growth.

Here are some macro shots of the porites along with a few remaining zoa polyps.
From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

From Paul's Reef - Apr 15, 2008

I'm not sure what did in my zoas. This isn't encouraging since zoas are supposed to be easy. To encourage the porites to grow I placed the rock high in the tank so they would get a lot of light. Did the zoas not like this location? I moved the rock to the sand substrate when I upgraded my lighting to T5s. Hopefully, they like it there. The porites do. They're still growing.

Perhaps the zoas didn't like my higher nitrate levels. Perhaps this colony was finicky. I bough small zoa frag last week. We'll see how well this one does.