Monday, February 9, 2009

New corals

Browsing ebay for corals I came across a place in Villa Park, IL called Reef Depot. I sent an email asking if I could just pick up the corals if I won an auction. One of the owners, Mark, said I should just stop by on the weekend. So, this I did. My daughter and I took a road trip and stopped at Chipotle for lunch along the way.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew this was somebody's home. I figured that he had a couple tanks with egg crate and coral flags and I would be the only one there. Turns out they have a good business running there. There were about 4 or 5 other people there while we were there. They have two huge homemade plywood tanks lined with rubber. All pumps were turned off so you can easily view the tanks from above. Each tank had at least 500 coral frags in it. They also had some much bigger corals, mushroom rocks and a few huge clams. They also had two very friendly chocolate labs. We had to be careful not to step on any paws or tails while browsing.

So here is what we got. I appologize for the lousy pictures. I'm not feeling great today and didn't want to get the tripod out. I'll take some better ones later.

Red Australian Acan with 10 polyps (some of them are small). $40


Fiji yellow tipped clove coral with 3 polyps. At the store it only looked like it had 2 polyps so they only charged me $10. After it opened at home a 3rd free polyp showed itself.


A green paly

and a purple one

Each of these was $10 per plug.

Finally, some zoas. Also for $10/plug.