Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I'm Melting

My Xenia is melting away and I have no idea why. It keeps getting smaller and smaller. At one time it was thriving and pulsing. Now it's just a limp and miniature version of its former self.

My other corals are doing well. My branching frogspawn is growing nicely. My tongue coral is growing new polyps and even moves itself around slightly. My open brain also looks really good, although I can't really say it is growing.
My Xenia, on the other hand, is now much smaller than my cleaner shrimp. That's got to be embarrassing.
I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm dosing with Kent Marine Tech I iodine weekly. I'm at the recommended half dosage of 1 capful for each 50 gallons. You are supposed to dose at the full dosage for the 1st 4 weeks and then cut the dosage in half. In January I reported that the iodine was really helping. The xenia was looking rather limp for a while and the iodine brought it back to life. Now it doesn't seem to be helping at all. The xenia looks worse now than it ever has before.