Saturday, June 21, 2008

One More Nitrate Factory Removed

According to my Salifert test kit my Nitrates are at 25ppm and I have not been able to get it to drop below this. I then remembered that at the bottom of my protein skimmer's overflow box/bubble eliminator is a small sponge filter. I removed it but it really didn't look that dirty. I'll have to see if it makes a difference.

I just got the Salifert test kit this week. It measures Nitrate differently than the API and it has much better resolution at the low end. Unfortunately one of our dogs decided that the boxes for both Nitrate test kits were something it should eat. Fortunately they didn't eat any of the chemicals. However, the little syringe in the Salifert kit for measuring 1 ml of water got destroyed. I'll have to figure something out to measure the water volume.