Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Is it too early to start another tank?

I really love this hobby! I love observing the growth of my corals, crabs, shrimp and fish. Even the snails are interesting. One of them is eating all of the hair algae that has grown on one of my filter tubes. My yellow tang won't touch the stuff but somehow a snail found its way there and hit the mother lode.

All that I can see and do with a reef tank is great. However, there is a fish I have always wanted even lusted after. That fish is the Picasso Triggerfish.



The Hawaiian name for this fish is Hu-mu hu-mu nu-ku nu-ku a pu-a-'a which supposedly means fish with a pig-nosed face. I prefer Picasso or even the scientific name Rhinecanthus aculeatus . I really don't think that the female triggerfishes would be happy if they knew they were being compared to pigs in Hawaii. Incidentally, when I read the Hawaiian name of this fish to my family at home my daughter started singing a song from High School Musical. Apparently, their is a song about this fish in High School Musical that was deleted. Hmmm, I wonder why.

I digress. I love this fish but I can't put it in my reef tank because it will eat my shrimp and pretty much anything else that will fit in its mouth. The only alternative is a second tank. Sounds like something to do early next year.